43rd Year of Interlochen Christmas Lights
The Interlochen Christmas Lights continues for the 43rd year. Beginning Friday, December 14, 2018, the Arlington Police Department will setup traffic control posts from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. to help facilitate safe travel through the annual Interlochen Christmas Lights display. Drivers must enter the Interlochen neighborhood from Randol Mill Road at Westwood Drive.
Every year, more than 200 homeowners in this northwest Arlington neighborhood celebrate the season by adorning their homes and property with festive lights and holiday-themed displays. Admission is free. Interlochen residents put up with all the inconveniences because we are so proud of our neighborhood and it is so much fun to give back to our community during the Christmas season.
Travel route and safety information is below.
Interlochen Neighborhood Entrance and Exit:
- Enter the Interlochen neighborhood from Westwood Drive at Randol Mill Road.
- From Westbound I-30, take the Fielder Road exit and go south to Randol Mill Road. Turn right on Randol Mill Road and follow it to Westwood Drive.
- From Eastbound I-30, take the Eastchase Parkway exit, turn east on Meadowbrook Boulevard to Randol Mill Road, then right on Randol Mill Road to Westwood Drive.
- All other streets to the Interlochen neighborhood are closed. Left turns are prohibited from northbound Bowen at Westwood and northbound Oakwood at Randol Mill. All traffic will be forced to turn southbound on Crowley Road. Tour buses will not be allowed on Porto Bello Court.
- Traffic must keep right at all times, leaving the left lane open for emergency vehicles and Interlochen residents.
- Adults and children must be properly secured by safety belts and child safety seats.
- Visit during the week. Weekends are the highest traffic-volume days.
- Pack a little patience. Traveling through the area is usually quite slow.
- Pedestrian traffic is permitted. Roller skating in the street is prohibited by the Arlington Municipal Code. No solicitation or sales by any vendors or group will be allowed from any public roadway or public rights-of-way.
- Residents are requested not to park on the streets after dark.
- Residents are advised to consider alternate routes against the flow of visitors (e.g., enter and exit via Division and Crowley).
The 10 Decorating Awards will be announced at the President’s Open House on Sunday afternoon December 16. Please stop by 1418 Porto Bello Court any time from 2 to 5 for light snacks, and to meet some of your fellow residents. You do not have to be an HOA member to attend.
The HOA Board of Directors has once again decided to encourage increased participation by giving preference to homes that have not won an award in the last two years. There are awards for “Best Theme”, “Most Artistic”, “Best New Resident”, “People’s Choice” and, of course, the coveted “Griswald Award” for over the top lighting. The Findlay Award in Bob Findlay’s honor always goes to a resident who has decorated for over 30 years. The Porter Award in Vernon Porter’s honor as our first HOA President goes to the home judged to have the best lakeside display.