HOA BOARD


Lake Interlochen HOA Board of Directors at May 11, 2020 meeting. Clockwise from lower left: Roger Pendleton, Chris Slauter, Ralph Sobel, Nancy Weaver, Ken Seipel, Tony Lester, Bryan Keathley, Bruce Turner and Brenda Cubbage. Not present due to family illness was Dot Wightman.

2021 Board of Directors

  • Ralph Sobel, President
  • Nancy Weaver, Vice President
  • Roger Pendleton, Secretary
  • Bruce Turner, Treasurer
  • Tony Lester, Water Chair
  • Brenda Cubbage, Architectural Chair
  • Byron DeVries
  • Bryan Keathley
  • Chris Slauter
  • Ken Seipel

Homeowners Association

Lake Interlochen Homeowners Association is an association established for the maintenance and upkeep of the canal system. This includes the impound and dam on Rush Creek and the inflow and outflow structures in our lake. It also has come to include water issues, wildlife management and other lake issues. Members of the association are made up of homeowners who live on the lake. Their properties extend to the center of the waterways and they grant an easement to the association for use by other members.

Board Meeting Minutes

Lake Interlochen HOA Board Meeting
September 20, 2021 @ Sobel residence

Directors attending:Ralph Sobel, Bruce Turner, Roger Pendleton, Brenda Cubbage, Ken Seipel, Bryon DeVries, Nancy Weaver, Chris Slauter, Bryan Keathley, Tony Lester

President Sobel called the meeting to order at 7 p.m.
Minutes from the last Board meeting on July 26, 2021 were approved.

Treasurer Turner reported this year’s expenses remain manageable at $13,680 with income $16,973. Assets are $184,769.

The Board entered executive session to discuss issues with final billing from previous accountants.

Water Committee Chair Lester reported gravity flow system has continued to maintain acceptable lake level. Tilapia doing their job keeping algae at a minimum. Fountain at end of North Channel is being replaced with our spare fountain so it can be checked for broken seals.  Dredging at the South Channel and the Old Channel will be done week of October 12. Beaver damage was reported by a Findlay Drive resident and Lester advised wrapping the targeted shrubbery in chicken wire. Our trapper will renew his work later in October. Routine maintenance in the impound area should begin later this month.

Architectural Committee member Slauter reported the committee reviewed and approved three projects since last meeting: new roof on Findlay Drive, new exterior painting of house on Crowley Road, and the beginning of long-term remodeling of a Loch Lomond residence.

The Board voted unanimously not to increase homeowner’s dues for next year.

President Sobel reminded the National Night Out on October 5 will be in the Porto Bello cul-de-sac.

The Board thanked Treasurer Turner and Water Committee Chair Lester for their recent steadfast service demanding numerous hours of work in their respective responsibilities.

The next Board meeting will be the Annual Meeting in January. The meeting adjourned at 9 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Roger Pendleton

 

Lake Interlochen HOA Board Meeting
July 26, 2021 @ Sobel residence

Directors attending:Ralph Sobel, Roger Pendleton, Brenda Cubbage,Ken Seipel,Bryon DeVries, Nancy Weaver, Chris Slauter, Bryan Keathley, Bruce Turner, Tony Lester via phone

President Sobel called the meeting to order at 7 p.m.

Minutes from the last Board meeting on May 17, 2021 were approved.

Water Committee Chair Lester reported rainfall and the gravity flow system have maintained lake level at its optimum; silt in the pump is at acceptable level; tilapia have been doing their job keeping algae at a minimum — there was an outbreak of a different type of algae which is common in lakes and ponds this time of year and dissipates if nature is allowed to take it course.

Fountain at end of North Channel kept going off and was restarted by resetting the GFI. It was replaced with our spare fountain but problem continued. Maintenance will be evaluating the electronics. An electrician may be required, but first Director DeVries, quite the handyman, will check it out.

Lester detailed a proposal from American Underwater Services to clean out the ends of the South Channel and the Old Channel; and a separate proposal for tree stump removal at the end of the Old Channel.  The Board voted unanimously to approve a motion by Director Keathley and seconded by Vice President Weaver to authorized the expenditure of approximately $16,000 for the projects, which will start in about four weeks.

Beaver trapping is showing success, as three beavers (two large adults and one juvenile) were trapped in separate areas of Lake Interlochen and relocated to a lake north of Dallas.

The continuing silt buildup in our impound area has created problems and the Board voted to do some maintenance work to alleviate the situation.

Treasurer Turner reported that expenses are normal and current assets are $187,758.

Architectural Committee Chair Cubbage cited several projects the committee members were involved with including a backyard construction project on Loch Lomond, driveway installation on Findlay, exterior house painting job on Findlay, a seasonal canopy on Westwood, and a new lakeside retaining wall at a Findlay Drive residence.

The Board heard a recap of the 16th Annual Lake Interlochen Independence Day Boat Parade and Secretary Pendleton reported that a parade story and lots of photos have been published on our website. Residents’ planting of flowering shrubs in Bob Findlay Linear Park was recognized. President Sobel reminded directors of a city Planning & Zoning meeting on August 4 where an apartment project at Randol Mill and Green Oaks may be discussed. A huge majority of Interlochen, Millbrook and other nearby residents are opposed to the development and plan to attend the meeting at City Hall.

The next Board meeting was scheduled for September 20. The meeting adjourned at 8:30 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Roger Pendleton

 

Lake Interlochen HOA Board Meeting
May 17, 2021 @ Seipel residence

Directors attending: Ralph Sobel, Tony Lester, Roger Pendleton, Brenda Cubbage, Ken Seipel, Bryon DeVries  Absent:Nancy Weaver, Chris Slauter, Bryan Keathley, Bruce Turner

President Sobel called the meeting to order at 7 p.m.

Minutes from the last Board meeting, March 13, were approved.

Current assets are $190,258. Expenses for first four months of 2021 are $9,646.

Water Committee Chair Lester reported good news: excellent results from water testing in first week of May; rainfall and the gravity flow system have maintained lake level at its optimum; more than 155 pounds of tilapia were deposited May 3 at five locations in the lake; all fountains are functioning properly; and silt in the pump still at acceptable level. Bad news: our trapper caught a beaver, but it escaped, leaving a broken cage and lots of fur behind. Residents have reported more damage to trees and shrubs caused by beavers.

The major problem of the Rush Creek impound shrinking in size took up most of the meeting. The Army Corps of Engineers responded to Lester’s request and provided a list of approved vendors, two of the companies submitted proposals outlining their scope of work to obtain the necessary approvals required for the HOA to proceed with our project to remedy the problem.  Following lengthy discussion, directors voted to table the issue for further research.

Directors voiced dismay that a resident constructed a fence, causing complaints from neighbors. Before starting any project, HOA members not only need Board approval, but also should talk to their neighbors, discussing how the project may impact them.

The Board was informed that the 16th Annual Lake Interlochen Independence Day Boat Parade will be held on July 4th.

The next Board meeting was scheduled for July 26. The meeting adjourned at 8:30 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Roger Pendleton

 

Lake Interlochen HOA Board Meeting
March 15, 2021 @ Slauter residence

Directors attending:Ralph Sobel, Roger Pendleton, Dot Wightman, Ken Seipel,Chris Slauter, Tony Lester, Bryan Keathley, Bruce Turner, Bryon DeVries
Absent:Brenda Cubbage, Nancy Weaver

President Sobel called the meeting to order at 7 p.m. He welcomed Byron DeVries. A San Juan resident, DeVries fills the position of Dot Wightman on the Board and on the Architectural Committee. Dot is retiring from the Board after 14 years of service.

Officers and committee chairs agreed to continue serving in their respective roles: Ralph Sobel as president, Nancy Weaver as vice president, Roger Pendleton as secretary, Bruce Turner as treasurer.  Architectural Committee: Brenda Cubbage as chair, with Chris Slauter and Byron DeVries. Water Committee: Tony Lester as chair, with Ken Seipel, Roger Pendleton and three non-board members.

Secretary Pendleton reported minutes from the last Board meeting, the 48thAnnual Meeting held on January 11, were approved by Directors via email. He said distribution of the 2021 Spring/Summer edition of the Lake Interlochen Directory is most likely this week as he and Sobel are proofing final revisions.

Treasurer Turner reported total current assets of $196,166. Expenses are in line. There are eight residents with outstanding HOA dues totaling $2,818.

The Board approved Water Committee Chair Lester’s order of 155 pounds of tilapia at $10 per pound, which is the same cost as last year. Keathley made a motion and Turner seconded it that going forward the Board approves the annual purchase of tilapia not to exceed $2,000.  Stocking of the lake with tilapia is normally in April when water temperature warms.

Lester said recent rainfall and the gravity flow system have maintained lake level at its optimum. Water testing is planned for May, prior to Memorial Day. All the fountains are working normally. He and his committee will soon be inspecting ends of the Middle, South and Old Channels to determine if any dredging needs to be performed. Several sightings of beavers and their damage have recently been reported and our trapper plans to search the lake within the next couple of weeks. The silt level in the pump silo is still at acceptable levels, and is being checked regularly by our maintenance person.

In response to requests from President Sobel, the City of Arlington has provided forms the HOA must complete to proceed with our project to remedy the problem of the impound shrinking in size. This is due to upstream silt and debris encroaching and building up on the shore. The situation is of concern to the Board because the HOA owns water rights to the impound, a source of water for Lake Interlochen. Lester reviewed the requirements with our contractor who then met with city officials to further explain what the project entailed. The first step is a meeting with the Corps of Engineers and we are waiting to hear back. In the meantime, another meeting with our contractor and his engineers is scheduled for next week.

Filling in for Architectural Committee Chair Cubbage, committee member Slauter reported upcoming meetings with a Findlay Drive resident planning a deck and pool equipment replacement project and a San Juan resident searching for a solution to adding a garage and staying in compliance with HOA Covenants.

Directors are planning a Findlay park clean up event, as trash throughout the park and along Rush Creek and Village Creek has become intolerable. Details for the event are being discussed.

The next Board meeting was scheduled for May 17. The meeting adjourned at 9 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Roger Pendleton

Lake Interlochen HOA
48thAnnual Meeting January 11, 2021
@ St. Stephen United Methodist Church

Directors attending: Ralph Sobel, Roger Pendleton, Dot Wightman, Ken Seipel,Brenda Cubbage, Chris Slauter, Nancy Weaver, Tony Lester
Absent: Bryan Keathley, Bruce Turner

Because of virus concerns, temperatures were taken of each person upon entrance and seating was spaced to provide social distancing as per state guidelines. There were ten HOA members and eight Board members in the basketball court-sized facility.

President Sobel called the meeting to order at 7 p.m.

Secretary Pendleton reported in addition to the annual meeting there were four Board meetings in 2020, each lasting about two hours, held in directors’ residences. Minutes from these meetings were emailed to members and posted on the HOA website. For the first time, video footage was posted on the website – from the July 4thand Christmas boat parades. Pendleton informed that, as was done in 2020, the neighborhood Directory will be emailed in two formats, Word document and PDF, and there will be two editions during 2021.

Lake Committee Chair Lester reported significant accomplishments during 2020: dredging the ends of the North Channel (Porto Bello/Westwood) and the West Channel (Montreau/Findlay); and repairs to our dam on Village Creek, which impounds water for Lake Interlochen.

The rains throughout the year, and the gravity flow pump system, continued to maintain water levels to optimum and testing for e-coli showed water quality continued to be excellent. Lester stressed that residents need to stay vigilant to minimize lawn clippings, leaves and debris being blown into the water.

The silt level in the pump silo is still at acceptable levels, and is being checked regularly by our maintenance person. However, Lester voiced concerns that the impound pool on Village Creek, where the HOA owns the water rights, is decreasing in size because of upstream silt and debris encroaching and building up on the shore. Lester, Sobel, Seipel and Pendleton met with city officials in November and presented plans to remedy the problem with a retaining wall, which Lake Interlochen HOA would fund. We are still awaiting instructions from the city as to approvals and procedures required to commence the retaining wall project.

All three fountains were serviced during the year. The motor on the Old Channel fountain was replaced and the North Channel and Middle Channel fountains were repaired.

Lester and Findlay Drive resident Brian Dawson, who has volunteered a lot of his time and expertise to assist the Water Committee, went on several excursions, trimming and removing low hanging branches. Numerous residents, with a nudge from President Sobel’s emails, helped improve navigation by having large low-hanging branches removed professionally. As our annual algae control endeavor, the lake will once again be stocked with tilapia in late April.

Architectural Committee Chair Cubbage reported reviewing plans for several projects but only two issues required intervention: a dock was repainted because of objections to an unacceptable color and landscape lighting had to be toned down due to neighbors’ complaints.

In the absence of Treasurer Turner, President Sobel gave each guest a printed report and then presented our excellent financial condition. Dues payments are on a pace consistent with previous years; at year’s end there were 55 accounts with outstanding dues totaling $17,031. As of January 9, deposits of $3,638 had been made. On December 31, 2020, cash total of $179,589 represented a $6,416 increase over year-end 2019. Net income for 2020 was approximately $7,400. Expenses, totaling $34,834, were in line compared to previous years. Interest income was about $1,000 lower, as interest rates dropped significantly.

Debbie Simek, Loch Lomond Drive resident, suggested the Lake Interlochen neighborhood consider becoming a dark sky area and said she would send the Board particulars to be distributed to HOA members. The mission of the International Dark Sky Association is to preserve and protect the nighttime environment through environmentally responsible outdoor lighting.

The Board proposed adding the following wording to our Protective Covenants on Page 5, Section C, Usages, #11: “No boat may be more than 18 feet in length.” Per HOA by-laws the proposed amendment must pass by a two-thirds supermajority. Prior to the vote, Findlay Drive resident Mike Traner objected to the proposal. There was a lengthy debate over boat sizes, horsepower of boat motors, and speeding boats creating damaging wakes.

The proposal passed 21 to 2. Five directors (Pendleton, Slauter, Turner, Weaver and Wightman) were re-elected for two-year terms.

The meeting adjourned at 8:15.

Minutes submitted by Roger Pendleton

Lake Interlochen
HOA Board Meeting
September 21, 2020 @ Pendleton residence

ATTENDING: Ralph Sobel, Ken Seipel, Bryan Keathley, Nancy Weaver, Bruce Turner, Dot Wightman, Tony Lester, Roger Pendleton, Chris Slauter, Brenda Cubbage

Meeting called to order by President Sobel at 7 p.m. Minutes of last meeting, July 20, 2020, were approved.

Secretary Pendleton noted coverage of recent dredging operations in the West and North channels was published on lakeinterlochen.com.

Architectural Committee Chair Cubbage reported approval of a remodeling project at a Porto Bello residence.

Treasurer Turner reported end of August 2020 bank balance of $175,084. July and August expenses were $3,653.

Water Committee Chair Lester reported recent rains and gravity flow from the impound continued to maintain lake water levels at optimum, however he expressed concern about the diminishing size of the impound due to silt and debris coming downstream on Rush Creek encroaching into it. The Board approved obtaining proposals and cost estimates to build a retaining wall.

In October Lester plans to discuss fall/winter beaver trapping plans with the HOA trapper Michael Trpkosh and will report back to the Board.

Lester was pleased to report successful dredging operations at the ends of the West and North channels on September 14 and 15; expressing thanks to the Yae and Geisel families for allowing access on their properties.

Directors renewed discussion of updating HOA Covenants to limit the size of new boats.

The Board is concerned that an upcoming Arlington Water Utilities  project could adversely impact Christmas Lights traffic. The City is set to begin in October to rehabilitate a 66-inch diameter sewer main that had collapsed and was temporarily repaired in 2015. The sewer line is adjacent to Village Creek, at Westwood Drive and Findlay Drive. President Sobel plans to talk with City officials regarding the timing and potential interference with Christmastime traffic, which is expected to be higher than ever.

Meeting adjourned at 8:45 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Roger Pendleton

Lake Interlochen
HOA Board Meeting
July 20, 2020 @ Lester residence

ATTENDING: Ralph Sobel, Ken Seipel, Nancy Weaver, Bruce Turner, Dot Wightman, Tony Lester, Roger Pendleton, Chris Slauter
ABSENT: Brenda Cubbage, Bryan Keathley

Meeting called to order by President Sobel at 7 p.m. Minutes of last meeting, May 11, 2020, were approved.

Secretary Pendleton reported an email link on the website was updated and the news story on the July 4thBoat Parade was generating high number of visitors as photos of nearly every boat in the parade was featured. Director Wightman’s grandson supplied the photographs. For the first time video footage was posted on the website as video capturing patriotic music at the boat parade was included in the news coverage.

Treasurer Turner reported as of June 30 the HOA had a bank balance of $178,694.  May and June expenses were $1,994 and were $9,844 for the first half of 2020.

Water Committee Chair Lester reported water level is acceptable for this time of year, primarily due to the gravity flow from the Rush Creek impound as rainfall has been limited.  Silt at the bottom of the silo remains at about 12 inches so the gravity valve is clear.

He said Mother Nature took care of the new-to-Lake Interlochen algae outbreak and the water is quite clear and clean. American Sport Fish informs that if you can see your hand in the water at a depth of 18 inches the water condition is good. At Lester’s suggestion, the Board agreed to purchase Aquatic Roundup to run a test on vegetation growing in the water prior to recommending residents apply the product when trying to clear weeds from retaining walls.

Lester learned that based on the 155 pounds of tilapia we put into the lake on May 4 by the time the fish have finished multiplying in the autumn their numbers could be approximately 3,500.

The professional beaver trapper the HOA hired, Michael Trpkosh of Dallas, has captured one large beaver and will resume trapping after the heat of summer drops in the fall.

The Old Channel fountain was moved about six feet from the end to accommodate a new boat. An electrical circuit breaker problem at the North Channel fountain was fixed by Porto Bello resident and former HOA Board member Dan Clement.

Lester reported a contract has been signed with American Underwater Service to dredge the end of both the North Channel and the West Channel. He was successful in reducing the cost to $9,000.

Tree limbs hanging too low over the water were trimmed by Lester and Findlay Drive resident Brian Dawson. They will be making regular reconnaissance trips to help maintain navigational safety for boats.

Of continuing concern to the HOA Board is the violation of the no-wake rule. Boats going too fast are creating waves that are damaging retaining walls and causing erosion problems to natural shorelines.

Directors discussed at length a plan to update HOA Covenants to limit the length and width of new boats.

Next board meeting was set for September 21. Meeting adjourned at 9:15 p.m.

Minutes submitted by Roger Pendleton

 Lake Interlochen
HOA Board Meeting
May 11, 2020 @ Sobel residence

ATTENDING: Ralph Sobel, Ken Seipel, Nancy Weaver, Bruce Turner, Brenda Cubbage, Tony Lester, Roger Pendleton, Bryan Keathley, Chris Slauter   ABSENT: Dot Wightman

Meeting called to order by President Sobel at 7 p.m. Minutes of last meeting, March 9, 2020, were approved.

Secretary Pendleton reported the website continues to be smooth and the Spring/Summer 2020 Directory is ready for final review before being emailed to residents later this month.

Treasurer Turner reported financials are fine. As of April 30, the HOA had a bank balance of $179,079, March through April expenses were $1,774 and were $7,849 for the first four months of 2020. Two HOA members have not paid their dues and liens will be placed on their residences.

Architecture Chair Cubbage reported a Loch Lomond backyard project was approved.

Water Committee Chair Lester reported water level is right where it should be. He and our maintenance man Brian Bayne inspected the inflow and outflow systems; both operating as designed. Water testing is planned for this week. The North Channel fountain was swapped for the spare and was pressure cleaned, ready for use if need be.

The lake was re-stocked with 155 pounds of tilapia on May 4, with five distribution points throughout the lake. A professional beaver trapper, Michael Trpkosh of Dallas, has been hired and will be placing traps in one targeted location in the Old Channel. His cost is $400 per beaver; no charge if he’s not successful.

Lester’s assessment is that the West Channel end and North Channel end will need dredging this year and is working on obtaining bids for the work.  He noted places, primarily in the Old Channel, that have tree limbs hanging too low over the water. Of significant concern to the HOA Board is the speeding of some boats, violating the no-wake rule. Boats going too fast are creating waves that are damaging retaining walls and causing erosion problems to natural shorelines. Directors urge boaters to slow down and enjoy the beautiful scenery of Lake Interlochen.

Next board meeting was set for July 20. Meeting adjourned at 8:30 p.m.

Minutes submitted by Roger Pendleton

 Lake Interlochen
HOA Board Meeting
March 9, 2020 @ Keathley residence

ATTENDING: Ralph Sobel, Ken Seipel, Chris Slauter, Bruce Turner,

Tony Lester, Roger Pendleton, Bryan Keathley, and Brenda Cubbage via phone from Wyoming.

ABSENT: Dot Wightman and Nancy Weaver

GUESTS: San Paulo residents Jim Irion and Warren Moseley

Meeting called to order at 7 p.m. Minutes of last meeting,

January 14, 2019, were approved.

Irion complemented the city for excellent work in re-grading San Paulo and Findlay intersection. He also complained about the work of AT&T in ”tearing up” his yard in laying underground fiber optic cable.

Moseley reported a beaver sighting in the Old Channel, which is the first beaver seen in several months. Sobel explained that the problem of damage caused by beavers has diminished due to residents taking preventative action to discourage beavers from venturing upon their property.

All officers and committee chairs agreed to continue serving in their respective roles: Ralph Sobel as president, Nancy Weaver as vice president, Bruce Turner as treasurer, Roger Pendleton as secretary.

Architectural Committee: Brenda Cubbage as chair, with Dot Wightman and Chris Slauter. Water Committee: Tony Lester as chair, with Ken Seipel, Roger Pendleton and three non-board members.

Treasurer Turner reported financials are in good shape. As of Feb 29, the HOA had a bank balance of $177,742, expenses for first two months of 2020 totaled $6,075; net income for January-February 2020 was $4,570. Nine HOA members have yet to pay dues.

Architecture Chair Cubbage reported she met with the Porto Bello resident and he agreed to repaint his dock from the inappropriate red to an acceptable neutral color. And she said a dock on Findlay has been redone and approved.

Water Committee Chair Lester thanked former Water Committee Chair Seipel for his many years of dedication and said he hoped to live up to Seipel’s excellent standard.

Lester reported the recent rainfall and gravity flow from the Rush Creek impound is maintaining water level at its optimum. Silt at the bottom of the silo is at 12 inches, which is acceptable as the gravity valve is still clear. Quality remains good and testing is planned for May. All fountains are working normally.

Re-stocking the lake with tilapia is scheduled for the end of April. Following a recommendation from our expert angler and Loch Lomond resident Ed Klobas, the amount of tilapia will be increased 20 pounds to 155 pounds at same cost of $10 per pound.

Keathley commented that the decision years ago to switch from chemicals to tilapia for algae control has proved to be highly successful.

As new Water Committee Chair, Lester toured the lake with Sobel in early February and paid special attention to channel ends. His assessment: West Channel will need dredging this year; North Channel will need dredging next year. South Channel remains a continuing concern because of the silt and rubbish entering the lake from the large city storm drain.

Lester will host representatives from American Sport Fish in a month or so who wish to bid on dredging services, which potentially would give the HOA a competitive position in negotiation with American Underwater Services, the company that has dredged the West and North channels.

Sobel reported the contract with TXU has been renewed with a lower rate for electricity. He also reported that the city’s flood control study has been completed and forwarded to FEMA and Corps of Engineers for review. The HOA board awaits the city’s announcement of its flood control plans for Rush Creek and Village Creek.

President Sobel informed the board that potential development projects on Division Street that could have a negative impact on the Lake Interlochen community are being monitored.

Next board meeting was set for May 11, 2020

Meeting adjourned at 8:30 p.m.

Minutes submitted by Roger Pendleton

Lake Interlochen HOA
47thAnnual Meeting January 14, 2019
@ St. Stephen United Methodist Church

Directors attending:Ralph Sobel, Bryan Keathley, Dot Wightman, Ken Seipel,Brenda Cubbage, Bruce Turner, Chris Slauter, Nancy Weaver, Tony Lester Absent:Roger Pendleton

Meeting arrangements were handled by Wightman; she, Slauter, and Alice Sobel provided refreshments. Eleven members were in attendance.

President Sobel called the meeting to order at 7:05 p.m.

As there were no nominations from the floor, the five directors (Sobel, Cubbage, Keathley, Lester, and Seipel) running for new two-year terms were elected by acclamation.

Vice President Weaver gave the Secretary’s report as Pendleton was ill. In addition to the annual meeting, in 2019 there were four board meetings, each lasting about two hours. Minutes from all meetings are emailed to HOA members and are posted on the website, www.lakeinterlochen.com.

A new feature has been added to the website titled “Your HOA Dues at Work.” A drop-down item under HOA on the main menu, the page currently includes stories and photos on dredging of the North Channel and cleanout of the lake’s outflow structure.

Once again, there will be two editions of the Directory, Spring/Summer and Fall/Winter.

Treasurer Turner reported the HOA is in excellent financial position, with no dues increase required in 2019 or for 2020. Total year-end assets increased from $173,393 to $188,894. Expenses remain within our projected budget. Current dues payments are coming in ahead of last year’s pace.

Outgoing Water Committee Chair Seipel received a well-deserved ovation. He thanked members of the committee, Pendleton, Dan Clement, Phil Anderson and Dave Duperre, and introduced the new Chair Lester. They reviewed the state of the lake:

Water level and quality were maintained at optimum throughout the year. The North Channel was dredged successfully. The fountain at the south end of the Old Channel was replaced with our spare fountain and was repaired to become our current spare. Several floating tree limbs were removed and low hanging branches were trimmed to maintain navigation channels. The annual stocking of the lake with tilapia will be in late April.

Architectural Committee Chair Cubbage thanked her members Wightman and Slauter and reported on eight projects approved and completed in 2019. One deck project was rejected and will not proceed unless resubmitted and approved.

During the open discussion period many of the questions and concerns were about the impound area and the city’s flood control study. The nearby sidewalk along Findlay Drive is crumbling and needs repair. A neighborhood volunteer trash clean up day in Findlay Park was proposed.

The meeting ended at 7:55 p.m.

Lake Interlochen
HOA Board Meeting
October 7, 2019 @ Wightman residence

ATTENDING: Ralph Sobel, Ken Seipel, Dot Wightman, Dan Clement, Brenda Cubbage, Chris Slauter, Bruce Turner, Nancy Weaver
ABSENT: Bryan Keathley, Roger Pendleton
GUESTS: Tony Lester, Gordon Frisch, Clive Webster, Tom Wightman, and Water Committee member Phil Anderson

Meeting called to order at 7 p.m. Minutes of last meeting, July 8, 2019, were approved.

Architectural Committee reported approval for an anti-beaver “beaver fence” for a Montreau resident. Webster asked about solar energy and will submit a project for his San Juan home.

Treasurer Turner’s third quarter review of expenses shows them about 5% under last year. Electricity is high due to running fountains 24/7 to prevent algae. Director Cubbage will review our current electricity contract prior to next renewal.  Board voted unanimously to keep 2020 dues at current level with no increase. HOA assets as of September 30 are $154,801.

Water Committee Chair Seipel reported algae under control as tilapia are doing their job. Water quality remains good. Fountain repairs have been minimal recently.

Lake water levels are down significantly due to the current drought. Rush Creek is several feet below the dam and below our intake screen. Seipel said we are going to use this low water opportunity to make repairs to the dam and clear silt from the impound silo.

Anderson documented damage to the dam and supplied detailed photos of the sections of the dam requiring repair. A meeting with a contractor who has done previous work on the dam is scheduled.

Seipel expressed a desire to reduce his duties due to health issues. Lester volunteered his services and will join the meeting at the dam. Frisch also offered to help in the future and already has helped several neighbors with waterside tree trimming.

During September a large tree limb in the Old Channel was removed. Findlay Drive resident Brian Dawson assisted.

National Night Out and West Division Lofts were reviewed.

Meeting adjourned at 8:55 p.m.

Minutes submitted by Roger Pendleton
from notes by Ralph Sobel and Nancy Weaver

Lake Interlochen
HOA Board Meeting
July 8, 2019 @ Slauter residence

ATTENDING: Ralph Sobel, Ken Seipel, Dot Wightman, Dan Clement, Brenda Cubbage, Roger Pendleton, Chris Slauter, Bruce Turner
ABSENT: Bryan Keathley, Nancy Weaver  GUEST: John Blackstone

Meeting called to order at 7 p.m. Minutes of last meeting, May 20, 2019, were approved.

San Juan resident Blackstone voiced his, and numerous neighbors, concerns about excessive and intrusive dog barking. The Board acknowledged it is a major community-wide problem. The Ask Arlington app was discussed as one avenue to address this problem. Ask Arlington includes a “Barking Dog” section where users can pinpoint on a map where the nuisance is located.

Secretary Pendleton announced a new feature on the website (www.lakeinterlochen.com) titled “Your HOA Dues at Work.”  A drop-down item under HOA on the main menu, the page currently includes stories and photos on dredging of the North Channel and cleanout of the lake’s outflow structure.

Water Committee Chair Seipel reported on the current concern of most residents: the green color of the water with green specks. Seipel summarized information he received from experts:

The condition is common this time of year as water temperatures approach season high levels. The specks are associated with ‘blue green algae’ that appear from now until late September when water temperatures begin to cool. Wind and water circulation would help the cleansing process. Chemicals are not an option to correct this condition. If an algaecide is applied, as algae decomposes it will consume oxygen and risk dropping dissolved oxygen rates to low levels that could cause a fish kill. Altering present conditions will just lead to another side affect that could cause more damaging consequences. Our tilapias are working overtime, gobbling up as much vegetation as they can. By fall they should be large.

Directors agreed to run the fountains 24 hours a day and let nature take its course. Cooler temperatures are the main influence to remedy the situation. The current condition is not harmful; it just looks bad – unless you like that yellowish greenish color.

Seipel said that, although rains and gravity flow from our impound continue to maintain lake levels, after the last deluge it was noted that our water level was higher than normal and remained at that higher level. This prompted an inspection and cleanout of the outflow structure.

Tree limbs hanging lower than 10 feet above the navigational channels were trimmed specifically for the July 4thBoat Parade. Additional trimming down the Old Channel is planned. Residents were advised they would be invoiced for their share of the labor, which will amount to about $75.

The fountain at the southern end of the Old Channel needed to be replaced with our spare fountain. It has been repaired at a cost of $213 and is ready if needed.

North Channel end was successfully dredged as planned late May. The Geisels were most accommodating, allowing access to the canal through their Porto Bello property as well as keeping the crew informed about severe storms in the area. John Geisel invited them to use his home for safety if needed.

The 14thannual Lake Interlochen Independence Day Boat Parade received rave reviews from residents, President Sobel reported.

Secretary Pendleton was honored as Grand Marshal, joining the list of residents Vernon Porter, Jim Haskell, Carole Findlay, and Ken Seipel, who have been recognized for their contributions to the Lake Interlochen community.

There was no new Architectural Committee activity, but Chair Brenda Cubbage reported that one project on Findlay has been finished and a major remodeling job on San Paulo is nearing completion.

Treasurer Turner’s report showed only one HOA member with unpaid dues, expenses are normal, and our assets as of June 30 are $158,299.

Sobel related the good news that apparently the Loch n Green 4 residential development project is dead. Arlington’s Fire Marshal is reported to have rescinded approval for access off Division Street. The Lake Interlochen HOA was concerned by potential flooding and downstream silting created by the proposed development.

National Night Out is October 1, Sobel said, and unless something changes Porto Bello will host the event.

Next board meeting was scheduled for October 7, 2019.

Meeting adjourned at 8:45 p.m.

Minutes submitted by Roger Pendleton, July 9, 2019

Lake Interlochen
HOA Board Meeting 
May 20, 2019 @ Wightman residence

ATTENDING: Ralph Sobel, Ken Seipel, Dot Wightman, Dan Clement, Brenda Cubbage, Bryan Keathley, Nancy Weaver, Roger Pendleton, Chris Slauter, Bruce Turner

Meeting called to order at 7 p.m. Minutes of last meeting,

March 4, 2019, were approved.

The Board discussed FEMA’s announced redrawing of flood maps and the potential impact on flood insurance.

Treasurer Turner reported two homeowners have not paid their dues and liens will be filed. Expenses, including the once-a-year cost of stocking the lake with tilapia, are normal. Assets as of April were $164,700.

Architectural Control Committee Chair Cubbage reported busy times with improvement projects approved for residents on San Paulo Court, Findlay Drive and Loch Lomond. Disappointedly, a Westwood Drive resident constructed a backyard gazebo without the covenants-required approval.

Water Committee Chair Seipel reports rains and gravity flow from our impound continue to maintain lake level at optimum. Water quality samples were taken to TTI Labs and results are expected this week. Annual re-stocking the lake with tilapia for algae control was done April 24. Cost for 135 pounds of tilapia was the same as it has for last several years at $1,485.

Dredging the end of the North Channel is scheduled May 30; the fountain will be removed for maintenance during dredging.

Tree limbs overhanging the waterway lower than 10 feet above  navigation channels will be trimmed in June. Homeowners were requested numerous times to trim their trees or the HOA will trim them and invoice the homeowners for the labor.

Seipel and Dan Clement have constructed a hard top for the impound silo and will install it as soon as Rush Creek water levels permit. About a foot of silt in bottom of silo will be removed when pumping is required.

The Board gave unanimous approval for President Sobel to inform Mayor Jeff Williams and Interlochen’s councilman Andrew Piel of our concerns about the Green Oaks Preserve Development on West Pioneer Parkway. As part of the Rush Creek watershed, the Lake Interlochen neighborhood would be impacted by flooding issues created by the proposed development.

Next board meeting was scheduled for July 22, 2019.
(Subsequently switched to July 8, 2019.)

Meeting adjourned at 9 p.m.

Minutes submitted by Roger Pendleton, May 21, 2019

Lake Interlochen
HOA Board Meeting
March 4, 2019 @ Wightman residence

ATTENDING: Ralph Sobel, Ken Seipel, Dot Wightman, Dan Clement, Brenda Cubbage, Bryan Keathley, Nancy Weaver, Roger Pendleton, Chris Slauter. ABSENT: Bruce Turner GUEST: Sgt. Aaron Scott, Arlington Police

Meeting called to order at 7 p.m.
Minutes of last meeting, January 15, 2019, were approved.

All officers and committee chairs agreed to continue serving in their respective roles: Ralph Sobel as President, Nancy Weaver as vice president, Bruce Turner as treasurer, Roger Pendleton as Secretary. Architectural Committee: Brenda Cubbage as chair, with Dot Wightman and Chris Slauter. Water Committee: Ken Seipel as chair, with Dan Clement, Roger Pendleton and two non-board members.

Sgt. Scott reported details of two February 27 parcel thefts from front porches on Crowley Road and Findlay Drive and explained how important 911 calls are when made as soon as possible by residents.

For example, if 911 had been called the day of the thefts police could have saturated the neighborhood with patrols – chances are the bad guys would still be in the area. He stressed never feel apologetic about calling 911. Even if the caller doesn’t wish to file an official report, not wanting their name known, the expediency of the 911 call is invaluable, Sgt. Scott said.

Architectural Control Committee activities have been slow, although Wightman told of an alarming phone call from a Crowley Road resident suspecting a neighbor plans to build a carport and a swimming pool; Cubbage said no such plans have been submitted and her committee would look into the matter.

Treasurer’s report shows total assets as of Feb. 28, 2019 at $161,487.  Income and expenses for first two months of 2019 were normal — $11,018 income and $6,413 expenses ($2,413 of the expenses was for renewal of HOA liability insurance).

Water Committee Chair Seipel reports rains and gravity flow from our impound continue to maintain lake level at optimum. Water quality remains good; testing is planned for May. Annual re-stocking the lake with tilapia for algae control is scheduled for late April as soon as water temperature gets above 65 degrees. Cost for 135 pounds of tilapia stays the same as it has for last several years at $1,485.

The 100-year deluge last fall resulted in major silting of our impound area, which the Water Committee is addressing. Silt was cleaned off the top grate of the silo. There is 6 to 12 inches of silt in bottom of silo blocking the pump. Since the gravity flow system is working, Seipel said plans are to delay clearing out silt until pumping is required. He also announced plans to cover the top of the silo.

Dredging end of the North Channel is planned for April, after water temperature tops the 45 degrees required for the coagulant to effectively separate water from silt.

Residents guilty of low hanging trees over the water will be notified this month to have limbs trimmed to about 10 feet above water surface to allow safe navigation for boats.

President Sobel was informed via email from a Findlay Drive resident that they are in contact with the city parks department about cleanup and mowing in Findlay Park, a chore Interlochen residents believe is overdue.

Next board meeting was scheduled for May 20, 2019

Meeting adjourned at 8:30 p.m.

Minutes submitted by Roger Pendleton, March 5, 2019

Lake Interlochen HOA

46thAnnual Meeting January 15, 2019

@ St. Stephen United Methodist Church

Directors attending: Ralph Sobel, Bryan Keathley, Dot Wightman, Ken Seipel, Roger Pendleton, Brenda Cubbage, Bruce Turner, Dan Clement, Chris Slauter, Nancy Weaver.   Guests: From the Arlington Police Department, Deputy Chief Carol Riddle, Lt. Brad Norman and Sgt. Aaron Scott.

Meeting arrangements were handled by Wightman; she, Slauter, and Alice Sobel provided refreshments. 27 homes were represented; 35 members were in attendance.

President Sobel called the meeting to order at 7 p.m.

Deputy Chief Riddle, a 19-year Arlington Police Department veteran, hit the highlights of current activities in the city with an overview of police department programs, including Mentoring Arlington Youth and Coach 5-0. She reported that citywide crime was down, continuing the trend in Arlington.  She advised residents to be aware of men walking around the neighborhood dressed like workers with those familiar reflective vests and hardhats offering tree trimming and other jobs – it’s a scam, she warned. Anyone soliciting at your door must carry a Door-to-Door Solicitor Permit and residents should asked to see it, the deputy chief said.

Secretary Pendleton reported that in 2018 there were five board meetings, each lasting about two hours. Minutes from all meetings are emailed to HOA members and are posted on the website, www.lakeinterlochen.com.

Pendleton displayed a poster of the newly redesigned website and pointed out some functionality. He stated the Board was pleased how the new site showcases the unique character of the neighborhood and hoped residents would be proud to refer folks to the website for a look at life in Lake Interlochen.

This year the resident directory will be emailed in two formats, Pendleton explained. In addition to the Word document, residents will receive the directory as a PDF file. The 2019 edition is scheduled to be distributed this month and an updated version will be emailed in the Fall. Pendleton said, “Ralph will continue emailing updates throughout the year so if your phone numbers or email addresses change be sure to notify us.”

Treasurer Turner reported a positive year, not having to pull any funds out of savings. As of December 31, 2018, the HOA assets were $173,393, with $122,317 in our Money Market savings account earning the HOA about $100 per month. Reversing a two-year downward trend, expenses in 2018 included one time-charges of $2,400 for dam repair and $7,400 for dredging the West Channel end and removing submerged and above-surface tree trunks. Eighty-five of the 140 members have paid their dues, and Turner said he expected the 55 members to remit payment during January, which is customary.

Director Seipel, chairman of the Lake Maintenance Committee, thanked his committee, which includes directors Clement and Pendleton and non-board members Phil Anderson and David Duperre. He said former director Vernon Porter continues to provide help. Seipel received applause for his steadfast work in keeping the lake in excellent condition.

Significant achievements in 2018, Seipel cited, were the repair of our dam on Rush Creek; dredging the end of West Channel; and removal of underwater and exposed tree trunks, which have caused damage to boats.

With help from summer and fall rains, we were able to maintain the water level and quality at optimum throughout 2018, Seipel reported. He said re-stocking the lake with tilapia for algae control is scheduled for late April. All the fountains were run 24 hours a day in late summer, helping our successful control of algae.

Seipel said the 100-year deluge in September-October resulted in major silting of our impound area. The silt is now above the original silo height. Fortunately, we increased the silo height two feet a few years ago, and added an underwater culvert out toward the middle of Rush Creek to get better quality and quantity of water. Fountain maintenance was routine in 2018, Seipel said, with the purchase of a new motor, parts, and LED light replacements.

Dredging the North Channel end is scheduled for the first quarter 2019. Seipel said dredging of the West Channel end showed that the underwater suction system provided by American Underwater Services is much more effective for removing silt than our old pitch fork and plastic bag method, and the results will last much longer.

Director Cubbage, after she acknowledged the two members of her Architectural Control Committee, Wightman and Slauter, told those in attendance that good old common sense was what guided the Architectural Control Committee. She suggested that the first step for HOA members planning a home improvement project is to talk to their neighbors, and explain the project. Then they should contact any member of the committee to obtain approval before commencing the project, including submitting plans, drawings, details for materials, grades, etc. Cubbage said “9 out of 10 projects are approved.” She reported several projects were evaluated and approved during 2018.

Proposed changes to the HOA Covenants were overwhelmingly approved, 30 votes to 3, which included votes from those in attendance and by mail.

The key revisions are:

  • The construction or maintenance of signs, billboards, or advertising structures of any kind on any lot is prohibited, except that one sign or billboard advertising the rental or sale of property is permitted, provided it does not exceed 2 x 4 feet in size. Yard signage that advertises services to the residence by contractors, subcontractors or vendors shall be removed within 14 days after completion of such services.  (It was noted that this does not include security system signage).
  • Engaging in a trade or business is prohibited as also is any activity which may become an annoyance or nuisance to the neighborhood. Short term rentals of any residence for less than 90 days is strictly prohibited.
  • No permanent or floating docks or patios may exceed more than 8 feet, or less if necessary for boating safety, into or over the water of Lake System. All dock or patio replacements, repairs or installments must be approved by the Architectural Control Committee prior to the commencement of construction.
  • No gasoline powered boats are allowed on Lake System, but electrically powered boats up to three (3) horsepower are permitted. All boats should be operated with minimum wake and at low speeds in order to avoid damage to the Lake System’s walls. Be respectful of other boaters.
  • No fence or gate shall be erected or maintained on any lot or plat nearer the front street than the front wall of the residence building, and on all corner lots, not nearer the side street than the building line as shown on said plat. Fences located between the front and rear walls of the residence building may be constructed of masonry, hedge or solid wood. Fences located between the lake and the rear wall of the residence building shall be constructed of brick masonry, not to exceed three feet in height, or of decorative iron. A combination of brick masonry and decorative iron may be used between the lake and the rear wall of the residence building so long as the masonry portion, except for brick columns, does not exceed three feet in height. No wall, fence or gate shall exceed six feet in height.

Keathley mentioned that earlier in the afternoon he was in a meeting with Arlington Mayor Jeff Williams. When informed that the Lake Interlochen HOA was planning to add language to the Covenants that prohibited short-term rentals, the Mayor told Keathley that we were wise to do so.

Concerns over speeding vehicles on Westwood and Crowley were discussed. Adding speed bumps came up, but Keathley said it was extremely difficult to convince the city to install speed bumps. Since the three police officers had left the meeting, Sobel said he would forward the concerns to the police.

Five incumbent directors were re-elected by unanimous acclamation: Wightman, Turner, Slauter, Weaver, Pendleton.

The meeting ended at 8:30 p.m.

Minutes submitted by Roger Pendleton, January 16, 2019

Lake Interlochen HOA Board Meeting

October 29, 2018 @ Sobel residence

ATTENDING: Ralph Sobel, Nancy Weaver, Ken Seipel, Dot Wightman, Dan Clement, Bruce Turner, Roger Pendleton, Chris Slauter, Bryan Keathley, Brenda Cubbage.  GUESTS: Gordon Frisch

Meeting called to order at 7 p.m. Minutes of last meeting, August 6, 2018, were approved.

There has been talk in the neighborhood about the preference of some to have the Directory in printed form rather than digital.

At the last Board meeting, President Sobel explained that the two primary reasons the Board chose to produce the directory in a Word format and email it only to residents were (1) a significant savings to HOA members and (2) that there were so many changes soon after it was distributed.

Secretary Pendleton reported on his research regarding various ways to print the neighborhood directory. Printing and 3-hole punching the 54 pages for a 3-ring binder would cost a little under $900 for 50 copies on quality paper stock. The Board agreed that paying $18, or even half that, for a copy to put in a binder is not acceptable. The emailed version can easily be printed on home printers.

Treasurer Turner inserted that one of the issues is that not everyone has Word software. He recommended distributing the Directory as an Adobe PDF file, which everyone can open on their computers or their mobile devices, in addition to the Word file. The Board agreed. The 2019 editions will be distributed in both formats.

Pendleton also reported that the new website is running smoothly and will be kept current with news items. He encourages residents to take a look at the totally redesigned site. It’s the same name as always, www.lakeinterlochen.com.

Turner offered a motion which Keathley seconded, that there be no increase in HOA dues next year. The Board unanimously approved.

The Treasurer’s financial status report shows HOA assets as of September 30 were $140,941with expenses for the first nine months of 2018 at $26,913 – on the high side due to a payment of more than $6,000 to the HOA’s accounting firm covering their fees for the last three years. Cost of canal cleaning was higher than normal.

Only one resident has not paid their HOA dues. A lien has been placed on their property.

Architectural Committee chair Cubbage reported two projects approved, an upgraded deck on Montreau and a roof replacement and decking on Findlay Court. One project on Porto Bello is underway but no plans were submitted to the Architectural Committee and, due to safety concerns, the Board decided to refer the project to the city for code compliance.

A member of the Architectural Committee, Chris Slauter, reported that Montreau residents Kay and Tony Lester have recommended an upgrade to the decades-old Merry Christmas sign on the Westwood gate. The Board liked the idea and requested the Lesters prepare a proposal for the new signage so it can be voted on.

And speaking of Christmastime, Sobel reported the Arlington Police will be directing traffic during this year’s Interlochen Lights from December 14 to 25.

Water Committee chair Seipel said the water levels have returned to normal shortly after the historic rainfall of September and October. Water quality tested very good just prior to the Labor Day holiday. Water was tested for e-coli three times this past summer, with good results each time. As a result of stocking Lake Interlochen with tilapia there were no algae blooms, Seipel was pleased to report. He also was pleased that the fountains are operating as they should, although there were a few GFI trips because of the heavy downpours water leaked into junction boxes. He advised boaters to stay clear of fountains and their electrical cables.

Seipel reported two major projects were completed successfully. The West Channel end was dredged and submerged tree stumps, some hiding under the water for many years, were removed from three areas in the Old Channel. As it is a requirement for homeowners to maintain open navigation lanes for boating, the three residents were pleased to pay their fair share to have the nautical obstacles removed and the HOA covered the balance. Boaters are beaming!

The Board plans to have the North Channel end dredged First Quarter 2019.

Cubbage is preparing a proposal to amend the HOA Covenants. The main items are dock sizes, heights of fences and gates, and short-term rentals.  The Board will review and then put the proposal to a homeowners vote at the annual meeting, which is scheduled for January 15, 2019.

Meeting adjourned at 9:30 p.m.

Minutes submitted by Roger Pendleton, November 1, 2018

Lake Interlochen

HOA Board Meeting 

August 6, 2018 @ Slauter residence

ATTENDING: Ralph Sobel, Ken Seipel, Dot Wightman, Dan Clement, Bruce Turner, Roger Pendleton, Chris Slauter, Bryan Keathley. ABSENT: Brenda Cubbage, Nancy Weaver.

GUESTS: Tony Lester, Pat Jenkins, Alex del Carmen, Tom Wightman, Mike Barnett.

Meeting called to order at 7 p.m. Minutes of last meeting, May 14, 2018, were approved.

With a groundswell of Interlochen residents voicing their preference that the neighborhood directory be printed instead of digital, the Board decided to look at various options for a printed version of the 2019 edition. President Sobel explained that the two primary reasons the Board chose to produce the directory in a Word format and email it only to residents were (1) a significant savings to HOA members (Secretary Pendleton maintains the 53-page document so there is zero cost involved), and (2) that there were so many changes (new email addresses, new phone numbers, residents moving in and out of the neighborhood, etc.) soon after it was published each year. The last printed directory was the 2014-2015 edition.

Pat Jenkins recalled that years ago the directory was produced as a three-ring binder and when changes occurred revised pages were sent to residents to replace just those outdated pages.

Director Keathley noted that postage would be a factor today. Distributing the directories at the HOA annual meeting is one idea. Sobel and Pendleton plan to study the options.

Treasurer Turner reported total HOA assets as of July 31 were $150,582; expenses totaled $16,946 in the first seven months of 2018 — up primarily due to beaver trapping and repair to the dam on Rush Creek. Due to the efforts of Sobel, only two residences have unpaid dues. A lien has been placed on those two properties.

Director Seipel reported water level remains normal despite the lack of rain and high summer temperatures. This comforting fact is because of the water intake system designed in the late 1970s by Bob Findlay, developer of Lake Interlochen, remains functioning precisely as originally built. Water is brought in to our lake from Rush Creek via a gravity-flow system supplemented by an electrical pump system.

Another positive hot-summer note is the clear beauty of our waterways – that’s because our tilapia is gobbling up any algae growth in Lake Interlochen and by running the fountains 24/7 the lake water is staying oxygenated for our healthy fish population.

Water quality, which was tested prior to July 4, is very good for e-coli levels.  Seipel said he was going to have the water tested again before Labor Day.

On the negative side of Seipel’s report, there are several submerged tree trunks in various channels of our lake network and damage to pontoon boats has been reported.

Seipel said to gain economies of scale the HOA Board will solicit bids to remove the submerged tree trunks. Responsible homeowners will be notified of their share of the cost. At their option, they can remove the navigation obstacles themselves or reimburse the HOA for their share of the removal costs.

The Board approved a proposal from American Underwater Services to dredge the end of the West Channel and if the job goes as anticipated, the end of the North Channel would be dredged next. In the near future the ends of the Middle Channel and South Channel will be considered for dredging.

The dredging proposal is a result of research done by the Water Committee, consisting of Ken Seipel, Dan Clement, Roger Pendleton, Phil Anderson and David Duperre. A key factor that the ends of our channels require dredging is that residents allow grass clippings to fall into the water. The grass clippings are pushed along by winds and the natural water flow to the ends of channels.

Alex del Carmen, a criminologist and new resident of Westwood Drive, volunteered to help form and head a new HOA committee addressing security and crime prevention for the neighborhood. Directors appreciated his offer and will discuss details at the next Board meeting.

Directors Weaver, Slauter and Cubbage, who were tasked by Sobel to study and make proposals to clarify our HOA covenants regarding dock sizes, fence and gate heights, short-term rentals, and size of yard signs, will make their presentation at the next Board meeting, which is scheduled for Oct. 29.

Meeting adjourned at 9:30 p.m.

Minutes submitted by Roger Pendleton, August 7, 2018

Lake Interlochen
HOA Board Meeting
May 14, 2018 @ Pendleton residence

ATTENDING: Ralph Sobel, Ken Seipel, Dot Wightman, Dan Clement, Bruce Turner, Roger Pendleton, Chris Slauter, Bryan Keathley. ABSENT: Brenda Cubbage, Nancy Weaver.

GUESTS: Sgt. Aaron Scott of Arlington Police Department; Ed Klobas of Loch Lommond Drive.

Meeting called to order at 7 p.m. Minutes of last meeting, March 5, 2018, were approved.

Sgt. Scott, a 10-year veteran of the APD and South District Officer of the Year, is our new beat sergeant; his geographic area of responsibility is north of Division and west of Fielder. Sgt. Scott stressed the importance of an open line of communication between residents and police, encouraging residents to call 911 and vowing to deliver relevant information to the neighborhood on a timely basis.

Klobas requested attention from the Board to get control of an ever-increasing problem with beavers in the Lake Interlochen network of channels. He illustrated the exact locations of beaver dens. The wildlife trapper that the Board had called upon previously is no longer available, so Directors voted to solicit bids from professional trappers.

Klobas reported there were several trees, including a majestic magnolia tree, that could very soon crash into the waterways due to damage caused by beavers. The Board agreed to aggressively tackle this current beaver nuisance.

Treasurer Turner reported total HOA assets as of April 30 were $159,230; expenses in first four months of 2018 were normal: $6,852, plus $1,485 for annual tilapia stocking, which will be included in next months’ expense report. Board voted to write off outdated debt of $415, deeming it uncollectable.

The Board discussed improvements to HOA website.

Director Seipel reported water level remains normal. Water quality samples will be taken this week to test lab, with results for e-coli levels reported prior to Memorial Day. Several residents complied with email requests from President Sobel and removed tree trunks from their water and trimmed low-hanging branches. Repair to our dam and impound area are underway. All fountains are operating.

Director Clement agreed to present to the Board a concept he has been working on for dredging channel ends. Directors Weaver and Cubbage were tasked by Sobel to study and make proposals to clarify our HOA covenants regarding dock sizes, fence and gate heights, and short-term rentals.

Next board meeting was scheduled for August 6.

Meeting adjourned at 9:15 p.m.

Minutes submitted by Roger Pendleton, May 15, 2018

Lake Interlochen

HOA Board Meeting 

March 5, 2018 @ Sobel residence

ATTENDING: Ralph Sobel, Ken Seipel, Dot Wightman, Dan Clement, Brenda Cubbage, Bruce Turner, Nancy Weaver, Roger Pendleton, Chris Slauter. ABSENT: Bryan Keathley.

Meeting called to order at 7 p.m. Minutes of last meeting,

January 9, 2018, were approved.

All officers and committee chairs agreed to continue serving in their respective roles: Ralph Sobel as President, Nancy Weaver as vice president, Bruce Turner as treasurer, Roger Pendleton as Secretary.

Architectural Committee: Brenda Cubbage as chair, with Dot Wightman and Chris Slauter. Water Committee: Ken Seipel as chair, with Dan Clement, Roger Pendleton and two non-board members.

Director Cubbage reported the Architectural Committee denied request from Westwood residents for fence and gate project exceeding height of six feet, as per HOA Protective Covenants approved by HOA members.

Secretary Pendleton reported final updates on the 2018 edition of the Interlochen Directory were in progress and distribution would be this month.

Treasurer Turner reported total HOA assets as of February 28 were $165,612, expenses in first two months of 2018 were normal, HOA dues of $5,500 is due from 15 members and that $40,000 was moved into our money market account, which increased the interest the HOA is earning from 0.40% to 1.25%. The HOA insurance policy was renewed.

Director Seipel reported removal of two large floating tree trunks which would have caused major damage to boat motors and props, installation of warning tape and reflectors to partially submerged trees off Montreau Court, and repairs to the Middle Channel fountain included replacing the motor and increasing the amps on the GFI timer. So now all three fountains are functioning, lake levels are normal and water quality is good – and spring is just around the bend.

Directors approved funding for once again stocking the lake with tilapia for algae control. Price is $1,485 for 135 pounds; delivery expected late April.

Next board meeting was scheduled for May 14.

Meeting adjourned at 9 p.m.

Minutes submitted by Roger Pendleton, March 7, 2018

Lake Interlochen HOA

45thAnnual Meeting January 9, 2018

@ St. Stephen United Methodist Church

Directors attending:Ralph Sobel, Dot Wightman, Ken Seipel, Roger Pendleton,Brenda Cubbage, Bruce Turner, Dan Clement, Bryan Keathley, Chris Slauter. Absent: Nancy Weaver.   Guests:Lt. Bobby Mason, Sgt. Jared Ross, and Crime Prevention Officer Douglas Glotfelty from the Arlington Police Department; Jay Warren, director of communication for the City of Arlington.

Meeting arrangements were handled by Wightman; she and Alice Sobel provided refreshments. 20 homes were represented; 25 members were in attendance.

President Sobel called the meeting to order at 7 p.m.

Warren outlined the city’s initiatives to encourage and support strong neighborhoods with an amplified communication program and to document acts of kindness. He promoted the city’s Ask Arlington app and the increase in news of Arlington on the city website.

Warren reported that the city has recently launched the Dream Team Digital Ambassador program and asked residents to sign up to share Arlington updates and announcements on various social media platforms. More information about the Kindness Initiative and the Dream Team ambassadors is on the city’s website, www.arlingtontx.gov.

The three police department officers spent more than half an hour informing, providing personal insights and answering questions about Interlochen safety and crime prevention with HOA members. They stressed the importance of calling 911 regarding anything that seems suspicious. Lt. Mason detailed how 911 calls are handled. He said, “we encourage you to contact us,” and added, “let us figure out the priority of your call.”

Sgt. Ross reported that crime is down, particularly residential burglaries, and the majority of incidents are vehicular thefts and burglaries — almost all at night. Officer Glotfelty cited outdoor lighting as one of the best deterrents to criminal activity.

Sobel expressed the condolences of the neighborhood over the recent loss of longtime San Juan Court resident Ann Russell. She and husband David were among the pioneering group of Lake Interlochen residents.

Secretary Pendleton summarized 2017 board meeting facts: Four regular meetings, each lasting about two hours, were held at board members’ residences.  There were six guests during the year. Minutes from all meetings are emailed to HOA members and are posted on the website. There were about 5,000 visitors to the website in 2017.

Pendleton reported that producing the neighborhood directory in electronic format instead of printing saves the HOA about $1,000 per issue and affords us the luxury of receiving the Directory twice a year so we can keep the listings up to date. The 2018 editions will be emailed this winter and in the autumn. Pendleton said, “Ralph will continue emailing updates throughout the year so if your phone numbers or email addressed change be sure to notify us.”

Treasurer Turner reported a good year collecting more income than expenses, following Board policy of building a reserve for major financial requirements, specifically a full-lake dredging. “If we can move some funds each year into our reserve,” Turner explained, “then any potential assessment in the future would carry a much lower impact on residents.”

As of December 31, 2017, the HOA assets were $172,722, with $151,236 in checking and savings accounts; about $20,000 higher than 2016. Expenses in 2017 continued a two-year downward trend, totaling $20,299. One line item increase over previous year was lake maintenance labor, about $1,500 higher due to channel end cleaning jobs.

Director Seipel, chairman of the Lake Maintenance Committee, thanked his committee, which includes directors Clement and Pendleton and non-board members Phil Anderson and David Duperre.

Seipel’s summary:

þ  Lake levels are currently at optimum, and we were able to maintain optimum water levels most of 2017. The level did start to recede late summer but only by inches due to abundant rain in the fall.

þ  Water qualitywas tested for e-coli twice in the summer by TTI, an EPA approved testing lab. Results were very good in all channels. Occasionally, readings in some areas are believed to be higher due to lawn clippings, leaves and backyard debris and animal feces entering the lake. Seipel said, “we need to be vigilant of our and our neighbors’ yard crews blowing lawn clippings, debris and leaves into the water.” þ  Tilapia stocking is again planned in the spring to control algae in the summer. We successfully controlled algae in 2017 and plan to follow the same routine in 2018, including running the fountains 24 hours a day in late summer. Tilapia die off when water temperature drops to about 55 degrees. They provide challenging fishing and good eating starting in October. They also provide good food for our beloved bass and birds.

Loch Lomond Drive resident and avid angler Ed Klobas, who helps monitor fish quality, says we need to continue to harvest the 10 -15 inch bass to keep the fish population in balance.

þ  Impound areamaintenance is planned to repair damage to our dam.

þFountain componentsare wearing out and require replacement. We have replaced motors, timers, GFIs, underground conduits and have water-proofed junction boxes. Fountain trouble-shooting is frustrating as we try to determine the faulty component.  Failures and improper functioning of fountains are often caused by fishing lines, plastic bags or sticks getting caught in the impeller and/or shaft.

þ  Channel end cleanup was performed in the North and West Channels in 2017. Debris blown by winds and water currents was dug out to provide at least two feet of water depth.  Seipel’s goal is to always have water at least a foot deep at the very end of each channel to allow for watercraft maneuvering and to prevent plant growth and stagnant water. Limited access to the channel ends requires us to use the old pitchfork and plastic bag approach. Cleaning channel ends is a significant cost to the HOA as well as a negative to channel end residents.

þ  Beavers are back! A Westwood resident reported beavers took 70% of his rose garden and a Montreau resident lost two trees to beavers. Sobel has asked Texas Wildlife Services to return and provide trapping and removal of beaver as they did in 2016.

þ  Dock projects for permanent and floating,new and refurbished, must be approved by the HOA Architectural Committee, Seipel reminded,in order to maintain navigable waterways. This is especially important now because of the increased boat traffic on Lake Interlochen during 2017.

President Sobel recognized Ken Seipel for his diligent work in protecting the neighborhood’s most important asset, the lake.

Director Cubbage, chair of the Architectural Committee, reported several projects were evaluated and approved during 2017. She recommended that residents planning building jobs (1) review the HOA covenants posted on the website, (2) contact any member of the Architectural Committee, her or Dot Wightman or Chris Slauter, and (3) talk with neighbors about the project.

Sobel announced the city is scheduling repair work on the metering station located at the S curve where Westwood Drive becomes Findlay Drive. Pipeline problems at the site have caused an unpleasant sewage odor at times.

Director Keathley reported on two subjects he was briefed on at recent civic meetings:

★ Arlington is studying the controversial issue of short-term residential rentals. The city has hosted a series of town hall meetings and has launched an online survey to gather input from citizens. You can participate in the survey, which ends January 31, with a link on the city’s website.

★ A new on-demand rideshare service, operated by Via, is now available in North Arlington. Currently operating only in areas east of South Fielder Street are ten Mercedes-Benz six-passenger vans offering rides for a flat per trip fee of $3.

The city is contributing $300,000 and the federal government $600,000 for the one-year pilot program, with four one-year renewal options. Data collected through the rideshare service will help shape the city council’s future transportation planning decisions.

The rideshare pilot program replaces the Metro ArlingtonXpress commuter bus service that ended Dec. 31.

On the fun side of things, Sobel spoke of success in two highlights of the year: The Interlochen Christmas Lights and the Lake Interlochen Boat Parades.

The Lights Winners

The judges report, since there are so many homeowners who have worked so hard and deserve some individual recognition, it is a tough job to pick only ten. But they did and here are the 2017 Interlochen Lights Award Winners:

The Griswald Award —1116 Crowley. Pearline Cleveland got a late start this year but the entire extended family pitched in to make this high wattage yard one that would make Clark Griswald (Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation) proud.

The Bob Findlay Award— 1411 Porto Bello. The van de Kamps both had lots of medical issues this year but that didn’t stop them from doing their best job yet in over 30 years decorating three different homes on the Lake.

The Vernon Porter Award — 1101 San Juan. The Wightman’s beautiful front yard has won several times over the years but this year is in honor of our long time HOA President Vernon Porter for the best waterside lighting. You can see best it from the Loch Lomond gate.

Best Theme I — 809 Loch Lomond. The Agura’s Christmas Tree Farm looks like a scene straight from a wonderful Hallmark Christmas movie.

Best Theme II — 1027 Loch Lomond. The Norvells are like the HGTV Fixer Uppers of Interlochen and their new reindeer herd on the Crowley corner hill looks fantastic.

Most Artistic I — 3201 San Paulo. The Cubbage home is a gorgeous waterfall of white lights every year that always impresses with a big moose on the loose.

Most Artistic II — 711 Findlay. The Gaines’ went with a whole new look this year and it worked beautifully with unique hand made multi-colored spiral trees.

The Santa Award –1417 Porto Bello. Bernie Caldwell climbed up on his roof with his two new knees and somehow got Santa and Rudolph high in the sky.

Santa’s Choice — 3116 Westwood. The Smith/Kortkamp family didn’t quite go full Griswald but they came awfully close with their many great inflatables.

People’s Choice— 1409 Crowley–The Bicks did an amazing job renovating their beautiful walled home and garden. Their chimney Angel welcomes and wows every visitor at the Interlochen entrance gate.

Sobel saluted the captains of the Boat Parades, Porto Bello residents Mike Saliba and Ken Simoneaux, and noted that in addition to the longtime Independence Day Boat Parade the recently added boat parades, Christmas and Mardi Gras, are also lots of fun.

 July 4thBoat Parade Winners

First — Lillie Owings portraying Betsy Ross sewing the American Flag riding on Roger Pendleton’s boat.  Second – The Sobels, with Ralph starring as Donald Trump. He was a huge hit. Nothing fake about it. Third – Peggy and Lee Jennings on Miss Peggy Lee, decorated with American flags and red, white and blue stars.

Five incumbent directors were re-elected by unanimous acclamation: Sobel, Cubbage, Seipel, Clement, Keathley.

The meeting ended at 8:45 p.m. Each resident who attended received a special 45thAnniversary thank you gift as they left the meeting.

Minutes submitted by Roger Pendleton, January 12, 2018

Resident Responsibility

Perhaps the number one responsibility of HOA members is to be vigilant in keeping grass clippings and leaves out of the waterways and street storm drains, all of which empty into the lake. Residents should instruct their yard crews to bag grass clippings and leaves, not blow them into the canal. The leaves and lawn clippings from yards that “harmlessly” go into the water will accumulate at the ends of the canals and cause major problems for your neighbors. In fact, grass clippings and leaves create the most costly aspect of waterway maintenance.

Also important is for HOA members to keep their shoreline trees trimmed so branches do not overhang the canals and hinder boating navigation right-of-way. A clearance of ten feet above the water surface is recommended.
Residents should be actively aware of any possible mosquito breeding places on their property, e.g. small boats and canoes that are filled with stagnant water.

Lake System Maintenance

Weekly, maintenance personnel clean channel ends of trash and skim off lawn clippings, and clear trash from the inflow and outflow areas. Periodically, maintenance is performed on the fountains and timers, and the inflow and outflow equipment.

Lake Interlochen water is tested twice each year in spring and summer. Laboratory testing results have always shown the water quality to be excellent. Each spring the lake is stocked with tilapia to help control algae.